Re: [CBQ] burlington iowa

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] burlington iowa
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 14:01:58 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
3 weeks ago, I went through on Amtrak.  there were obvious signs of
high water.  The bridges were no longer "high" above the river.  The
trip across was a "bit" slower than normal (in fact, we lost moire
time across Iowa than anywhere else).

Depending on how that bridge situation resolves itself, I have a
feeling there are going to be a few more LATE Amtrak trains....

At 12:51 PM 5/1/2008, William Ewinger wrote:
>afternoon
>
>   for those of you who have not heard both the hwy 34 bridge and
> the railraod bridge here in burlington iowa over the mississippi
> are closed due to being struck by brages over night.two brages came
> down the river and hit the hwy 34 bridge with a thrid going on down
> and striking the railroad bridge about at the fifth prier out from
> the illinios shore.the barge has swung aron side ways so the whole
> weight is pushing on the bridge all train traffic has stop and bnsf
> has spotted what appears to be five loaded grains on the span that
> the barge is pushing on.with the river currtly at 20.5 feet which
> is about 12.5 over the normal stage the barge could not clear under the bridge
>   bill ewinger
>   burlington iowa

Bob Webber