[CBQ] Re: Advice on Sites to see

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Advice on Sites to see
From: "binder5295" <binder5295@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:03:25 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,

In eastern Nebraska I can suggest a few items.

If you swing by Pacific Junction, IA be prepared for a lot of
nothing. The former division between Lines East and Lines West
diminished in importance with the BN.  Last time I went by there just
wasn't a lot to see.

However, be sure to cross the Missouri River at Plattsmouth on HWY34,
that takes you over an old toll bridge, but it parallels the old CB&Q
bridge that is quite impressive.  I'm not sure about current fences
or land problems (it has been years since I went there), but it used
to be possible to climb the western bluff and get great shouts of
westbound trains coming across the bridge.

Just north of Plattsmouth is Oreopolis (off HWY 75).  It's just a RR
junction, but it is where the line along the south side of the Platte
River meets the line to Omaha. Nearby the UP (former MP) crosses the
BNSF.  The old Burlington Station in Omaha is perpetually in bad
shape but is still an impressive structure.

West of Omaha there is still an old CB&Q station on the line at
Ashland.  Ashland is where the line from Louisville, from Omaha and
from Souix City, IA meet.  There used to be a little branchline to
Prague, NE to the WNW and parts of the right of way can be seen if
you know where to look.

The old depot from Waverly, NE is at the Camp Creek Threshers'
grounds about two miles east of Waverly.  If you are there on the
third weekend of July there is a large display of tractors, steam
tractions, etc.

In Lincoln, one can see a lot of the Havelock car shops from public
roads.  The main erecting hall was the old B&MR in Nebraska shops.
The 1917 vintage CB&Q depot in Lincoln is still existing.  The BNSF
has revised a lot of trackage in the depot area - most old CB&Q
structures are now gone.  As stated there is a K4 class 4-6-0 north
of the depot.

To follow the "traditional" CB&Q mainline one follows HWY 6 west from
Lincoln, HWY 34 follows the "coal line" to Ravenna.  After Hastings
HWY 34 follows the CB&Q.  There are CB&Q depots still trackside at
Crete, York (on the coal line), and and a couple other small towns.
McCook is worth a look also.

Just a few suggestions.

Gary Binder
Waverly, NE