Re: [SPAM][CBQ] Human Side-Forced

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [SPAM][CBQ] Human Side-Forced
From: "Archie" <kliner@mywdo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:16:15 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,  The way it worked for the Hannibal conductors was the oldest conductor
that didn't hold a pool turn as conductor was forced out of town to  a  St
Louis assignment while younger conductors got to stay in Hannibal and work on
the conductor's extra board.  This was the reason many conductors gave up their
rights and became drones.  This situation was finally turned around and the
youngest promoted conductors were forced out of town but not until the mid
eighties.  When that happened, you should have heard the drones squall.  BTW
the hog board I was refering to at Hannibal was set up for the switchman's
extra board.  The oldest extra switchman was first out every day and filled any
vacancies until he got his five days in.  When I transfered from Galesburg, I
was used to a rotating extra board where you went to the bottom of the board
when you finished a shift and took turns working your way up to first out
again.  Imagine my surprise when I didn't get called out for over ten days.  I
would call the crew caller and he would say I was three times out, and the next
day when I called he might say I was five times out.  Like Phil said, a guy
could starve working like that.  After a year of fighting that hog board and
three years in the Marine Corps I came home and found myself first out on the
hog board.  I was moving up in the world.   Archie