Re: [CBQ] Mark Twain Zephyr - Spelling of Huckleberry Finn

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mark Twain Zephyr - Spelling of Huckleberry Finn
From: "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:22:46 +1300
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Glen

On 30th June 2001, the question was asked by Marshall Theyer about the
spelling as Walthers had produced some decals without the "e".

The response was "I took some pictures in 1983 of the MTZ when it was stored
in Kansas
City.  "HUCKLEBERRY FINN" was correctly spelled at that time.  The lettering
was not new, so I assume it was the original lettering.
Glen Haug"

The follow up was "No, the lettering you saw in KC was not the original.
When the MTZ was purchased for display in 1962, it still had the original
etched, paint-filled name plates - but they 'disappeared' while the train
was being prepared for delivery (as did the cast bronze portrait of Mark
Twain from the tail plate and the obs. lounge chairs).  After the Old
Threshers people complained, new nameplates were made, but they were just
flat stainless with black lettering masked and sprayed.  (When they were
brand new, you could still see masking tape crinkles at the edges of some
letters).  However, the spelling "Huckleberry" is correct in the novels, and
one would expect Ralph Budd to have insisted on accuracy.

Marshall Thayer (who was crawling around under the MTZ in 1962, removing the
pivot pins so each car could be separately moved on house dollies to the
Threshers Grounds)"

Ring any bells?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ