[CBQ] Re: Lettering on E & F Units

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Lettering on E & F Units
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:41:04 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie,

Builder's plates were among the last thing applied before shipping a
unit from EMD. The builder's photo was often a "shot of opportunity"
for our company photographers. Many builder's photo were shot on our
test track when the locomotive, the lighting and the photographer
were available. Final inspection and last minute details may not have
been complete. I can assure you that all locomotives, cab or cabless,
had builder's plates when they left the plant. That essentially was
the serial number plate. The same is true of the "F" symbol. That is
and was an ICC and later, FRA requirement. Some were cast in the
early days, but later were painted on or were a decal application.

Bill Barber