Re: [CBQ] coal tower

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] coal tower
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:29:56 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One of my many jobs during my telephone company career was working on the
divestiture of AT&T and Illinois Bell properties.
I worked with my counterpart at AT&T Long Lines to determine which buildings,
portions of floors, or other shared facilities would
go to which company or where the dividing line would be in locoations that had
to be formally leased to one company or the other
because of the breakup of the Bell System.
One of the properties was a microwave relay tower in Eola, IL.
I had a railroad drawing of one elevation of the wood coaling tower the CB&Q
had at Eola (the one that Mainline Modeler subsequently
had full drawings and photos for) that was actually not too far away from where
the microwave tower is.
I asked the AT&T guy if he wanted to see the drawing for the "Eola Tower" and
showed him the CB&Q drawing..... and he said
"Son of a B*****!!!! ...the thing is made of wood!!!"
I had him going there for a little while until he saw it was a coaling, not
microwave, tower!!!
Charlie Vlk