[CBQ] Re:O5

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:O5
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:02:08 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Weren't some of the Sunset O5s (coal burners) mistakenly produced without ash
pans?
That certainly would simplify things! (maybe that was another model, though)

I dunno, Duncan. Whether to buy a specific (expensive) model always comes down
to how
you set your priorities. How important is fidelity to a specific prototype? How
important is
price? How important is the amount of work you have to do on the model?

If you really want 5632, there have been many imports of oil-burning O5s over
the years
(PFM, Oriental, Sunset, Challenger, ... am I missing any?); they pop up at
hobby shops and
on eBay all the time; if you are patient and search regularly, there will be
many (painted
and unpainted) choices of different vintage, manufacture, and price.

However, if this particular consignment engine is a real bargain,* from what
Bill says, it
doesn't sound like there's a lot of work involved in a believable conversion -
certainly less
than with the generic USRA engines (BLI's 2-8-2 and P2K's 2-10-2). The oil
bunker could
even be styrene, and it could be removable if you ever wanted to re-sell the
engine.
(Consider, too, that any work you do to modify the engine may lower its resale
value - or
raise it, depending on the quality and nature of your work and on the whims of
the market
at the time you sell).

(*To investigate how much of a bargain your consignment model is, you can check
comparable prices at hobby shops on line and search on eBay for completed sales
of other
Sunset O-5s).

Good luck!
Jonathan Harris