Re: [CBQ] Re: Montgomery Stock yard operations

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Montgomery Stock yard operations
From: "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@19main.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:16:19 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ken,

Of course. During the 60's CB&Q had it's 100 new cars plus
another 100 leased from North American Car, (Mather splicers).
NYC contributed another 100 NISX Mather splicers.

Before the 60's 36' cars were the most common for hogs.
SLSX cars were also used.

The sheep could be in CB&Q, GN, NP, or almost anyone else's
cars.

Hogs always stayed in the cars they were loaded in. The law
did not require them to be unloaded, just drenched.

It was not unusual for Sheep or Cattle to be loaded into
different cars at points where there were sales going on,
like Montgomery. No reason to pile up empties that may or
may not be used. I have a copy of one waybill where stock
at Lincoln was re-loaded into a MILW car. If a car was
there and could be used it was used. Lot easier than going
around the yard looking for empties.

At Blue Island on the IHB there were no sales taking place
so I'd say they would almost always re-use the same car.
Since everything was in the process of moving somewhere else
there was no supply of empties to draw on.

One of the last active unloaders along the river was Potosi.
If #88 had a car or two for that point they would spot and
unload. Nine times out of ten they would just deliver the
car or cars to the IHB along with the rest of their head end.
As you can imagine the IHB would get rather disturbed if they
had a NP stock car or two show up without billing.

In reality the movement of a car of hogs would certainly
involve "Changing Trains", even if they did not leave the
cars.

Russ