Re: [CBQ] Montgomery Stock yard operations

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Montgomery Stock yard operations
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:29:37 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
During the Montgomery Wreck cleanup the Cal Zephyr also went thur(I have film)
At first the Illinois Railnet used the "old north main" for its' interchange
I worked there while a senior in high school summer of '68 worked both days for
park dist. and nites as watchman in stock yard.  It was a long month.  I worked
weekends and any extra work.  And like Leo said mostly feeder cattle and lambs.
 Lamb were fed out by Monier Sheep Co.  and shipped via truck to slaughter.  We
got loaded centerflow hoppers of Alfalfa pellets and unloaded them into the
grain elevator.  Corn came via truck from the local area.  We used a truck
mounted mixer (complete with onboard scale) for weight/loading and mixing then
augered into feeders.  Day job with Supt. did most of the feeding and cleaning.
 Manure was shipped out in 65 foot gons to the strip mines down in Sou Ill.
Coal came in for heat with local section used to unload.  Used in Supt House
and also two stoves in Office/locker room.  Hay for cattle came via nite man
and I was stored in barn just south of elevator(Use to be cut from land where
Armor/Dial and AllSteel are
 now)  One shipper/consonee use to get lambs in and Monier would feed out and
were shipped via rail to Chicago for slaughter.  Sheep were fun(no judas goat
to lead them) so you had to open doors and start throwing them out until the
ones in the door saw some in the loading pen then the whole car emptied out in
an instant.  The first few thrown out alway wanted to get back in so you had to
watch them while trying to throw more out.  By the time you were done you
smelled of sheep and s_ _ _ (the reason for locker room) Weekends always worked
alone.   After unloading all livestock went over the scale for weighting as
shipping expense was via live weight in the car minus out of car(called
srinkage) and all were fed on unloading with hay for cattle and the sheep all
went to Monier leased barns.  Counting was done out of scale(reason I no longer
count sheep to go to sleep)  Real fun part was removing deads from car.
My stock yard laborers time shows up on my Railroad Retirement form as I
started there 40 years ago
SJH