Re: [CBQ] Re: Illinois Coal Mines

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Illinois Coal Mines
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:34:13 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ranked by the amount of coal loaded and hauled with in the State of Illinois
  and remember this is for a Granger Road
  SJH

bigbearoak <jonathanharris@earthlink.net> wrote:
          Steven -

Are these rankings among railroads just for coal hauled in the state of
Illinois or system-
wide?

-j

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@...> wrote:

> Yes that was just for 1905
> The Q was the third largest hauler of coal out of 42 railroads which hauled
> coal that
year
> Became 2nd out of 39 roads in 1909 and took first out of 38 roads in 1915
> with
6,804,142 tons loaded just in the state of Illinois only to drop back to 2nd
place in 1916.
Took first place again from 1925-1930 and dropped back to 2nd again thru 1944
when
due to the war coal loading peaked at 9,827,340 tons loaded out of 31 mines
served.
> One problem working in the coal reports is the formats change so it is hard
> to get the
years in the same formats for any kind of publication. After 1945 the state did
not rank
the roads by tonnage moved at all. 31 mines were served in 1944 and by 1954
only 20
mines served with just 4,840,501 tons moved. Larger mines often were served by
more
then one railroad. Besides the coal consumed at the mine or loaded in to steam
locomotives. Some my have gone to the local trade via trucks(heaven forbid)
Cars got
larger and could carry more tonnage while consumers often made the switch from
coal to
oil or gas decreasing the demand. Can you believe there were 32 pool turns out
of the
Milw Road roundhouse in Ladd, Ill in the Thirties. To move company coal.
> Take 1913 the Q was the second highest mover of coal in the state with
> 8,236,834
moved. out of 55 mines. They consumed 20,319 tons and 19,714 tons of that came
just
from Fulton County.