Re: [CBQ] Re: Illinois Coal Mines

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Illinois Coal Mines
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:36:33 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Yes that was just for 1905
  The Q was the third largest hauler of coal out of 42 railroads which hauled
coal that year
  Became 2nd out of 39 roads in 1909 and took first out of 38 roads in 1915
with 6,804,142 tons loaded just in the state of Illinois only to drop back to
2nd place in 1916.  Took first place again from 1925-1930 and dropped back to
2nd again thru 1944 when due to the war coal loading peaked at 9,827,340 tons
loaded out of 31 mines served.
  One problem working in the coal reports is the formats change so it is hard
to get the years in the same formats for any kind of publication.  After 1945
the state did not rank the roads by tonnage moved at all.  31 mines were served
in 1944 and by 1954 only 20 mines served with just 4,840,501 tons moved.
Larger mines often were served by more then one railroad.  Besides the coal
consumed at the mine or loaded in to steam locomotives.  Some my have gone to
the local trade via trucks(heaven forbid)  Cars got larger and could carry more
tonnage while consumers often made the switch from coal to oil or gas
decreasing the demand.  Can you believe there were 32 pool turns out of the
Milw Road roundhouse in Ladd, Ill in the Thirties.  To move company coal.
  Take 1913 the Q was the second highest mover of coal in the state with
8,236,834 moved.  out of 55 mines.  They consumed 20,319 tons and 19,714 tons
of that came just from Fulton County.
  SJH

clipperw@EarthLink.net wrote:
          Steve,

I assume that those production numbers are for 1905 output and not
the total production during the life of the mine? Even if they are an
annual output, the numbers are amazing when you consider what a
single unit coal train handles today.

Bill Barber