Fwd: [CBQ] Tank Car Info

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fwd: [CBQ] Tank Car Info
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:50:27 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In the front of the "Specifications....." manual should there  be a  list by
AAR/DOT class and the characteristcs of each car. I.E DOT 111A100W1 is a  tank
car either insulated or none,etc........................

There's another book called the BOE Hazmat Manual. In the trade its  casually
referred to as the red book. It's a very dry legalistic dissertation by
commodity of what tank car type can be used for which product. It's meant to be
safety,compliance manual;it is extremely difficult for the casual observer to
 read. But it does tell you what car can go into which hazmat service. It
doesn't  cover nonhazmat.

There are a few picture type tank car books out there that will give a very
light overview of what cars were in which services.

Very quickly and with a very broad brush. Prior to about the late 50s/early
60s tank cars were used primarily in refined oil commodity distribution. There
 were some other uses like corn syrup,veg oil,sulfuric acid,chlorine and a
few  others but the vast majority of cars were in refinery products. After
about
the  mid 60s the industry has grown to encompass hundreds and hundreds of
chemical,food and agricultural product uses. I've been in the rail and tank car

business for over 35 years and I'm still learning.