[CBQ] Re: 1976 American Freedom Train on the CB&Q

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: 1976 American Freedom Train on the CB&Q
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:52:57 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ,

IIRC, GM was one of the sponsors and there was some sort of event
staged at La Grange involving the locomotive. In addition, it came in
from the west a week or so ahead of the train's arrival from the east
behind the Reading T1. The 4449, of course, had just been restored to
service after some 20 years in the pOrtland, OR park. The 4449 group
wanted a secure location to stored the locomotive during the short
wait. The collision in Nebraska, obviously wasn't planned, but the
lay over time offer a good opportunity to make repairs. When it
originally came from the west to take over the AFT, it was running
light with only it's support cars with it. The train and the Reading
locomotive were still out east. I have color slides that I took of
4449 with the AFT train on it's initial westbound run, taken at a
point between West Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills.

I don't recall whether the train came through Chicago more than once,
but it may have.

Bill Barber