[CBQ] True Q Waycar Deadhead Story

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] True Q Waycar Deadhead Story
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:50:06 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This is true. But it did happen under the BN color scheme.
One night two crews are ordered to D.H. east out of Savanna due to the
inevitable imbalance of crews.
So the working crew and two D. H. crews cab from the plush Radke to the  yard
office and after sitting around awhile our eastbound drag frt shows up. We
then cab to the west end where we find  three w/cs on the tail end of the
train so the working crew takes the rear one and the dead heads mix themselves
among the working w/c and the two others.

Now any time you have three crews together there's going to be a card game,
some sleepers and some readers in the lot. So pretty soon the guys moved
around  and things got sorted out and everyone was more or less content. We
even
had an  engineer or two in the w/cs  So they could feel slack action first hand

!
After some period of time I lost interest in card playing(probably  because I
was losing as usual) and  reading  finally made me  sleepy. When boarding at
Savanna a couple of us quickly picked out the ex Q NE-  13 and made that our
home. Not only did it ride better than the newer BN hacks  it also had more and
better bunks.
So at some point I gave up and plopped on a bunk using my coat as a blanket
and my ever present inflatable pillow. Soon I was really out until we started
down Sugar Grove hill into Aurora. A certain Condr w/the intials WLS (who is
no  longer with us) somehow found a pack of firecrackers which he decided to
use as  the wakeup call for Aurora where most of us would unload on the fly at
the  platforms.
All I remember is waking up from a very sound sleep to fire,sparks and loud
explosions in the aisle between the bunks. I was quickly off the bunk,down the
 aisle and out the back door where I finally stopped when the realization of
very cool night air and 60MPH hit me.
I never did settle that score with Bill.

Leo Phillipp