Re: [CBQ] Re: Aurora Branch

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Aurora Branch
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:31:46 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The Ottawa Oswego and Fox River was just on of the many lines built a lot of
times by the backers of the Q and once built were leased by the Q.
It ran from Streator to Geneva with a complete wye in Aurora go from the
connection at Montgomery west on the C&I and then north to Geneva
It use to service Mooseheart where coal was moved to the steam plant.  Many
special trains were run to the Northern Illinois Fair Assoc. grounds located on
what now is the north side of Tollway and between Ill 31 and Randall Road.  The
first Aurora airport use to be there as well as the old Aurora Downs(horse
racing track)
This was the branch that the 4-6-0 637 was displayed off of in a park before
moving to IRM.
In addition to Barber Greene.  There use to be a Rainbow Bread bakery(Flour
in), Benson Mfg(file cabinets) Aurora Greenhouse(coal for heat)Chicago Aurora
and Dekalb interchange, I think All-Steel had a plant up there as well as
Stephen-Adamson.  Right around Illinois Ave use to be a plant which coated
silica sand with resin.  In later year and today the line is referred to as the
NIFA Branch which leaves a lot of people wondering why the name
SJH