[CBQ] Re: Aurora Branch

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Aurora Branch
From: "Jon Habegger" <jon_habegger@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 13:00:54 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Having grown up in Geneva and now a resident of Batavia, I have been
interested in the local rail lines.

The west side line was built as part of the Ottawa, Oswego and Fox
Valley RR in 1871 per the Poor's Manual of 1892 (p. 620).  This line
ran all the way to Geneva, IL and connected with the C&NW in Geneva.

The July 1881 Official Guide shows mixed train service between Aurora
and Geneva with a train leaving Aurora at 2:30pm and arriving Geneva
at 3:30pm.  The return trip left Geneva at 4:25 pm and arrived in
Aurora at 5:30pm.  The distance was 12 miles.

In January 1901, the Official Guide still lists Geneva, but listed
trains only go as far as West Batavia.  One train is listed in each
direction and ran daily except Sunday.  Finally, the November 1901
Official Guide no longer lists Geneva.

About five years ago, I travelled to St. Louis to the Barriger
Library at UMStL (University of Missouri St. Louis) where the Poor's
Manuals and Official Guides were available on the shelves for
research.
Jon Habegger