[CBQ] C.B.&Q. Passenger Car in Lyons, CO?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] C.B.&Q. Passenger Car in Lyons, CO?
From: "Brian Adams" <angusmcadams@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:46:53 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello Group,

I joined a few day's ago seeking answers to a couple of questions I
have. I appologize if this get's a little long..

My name is Brian Adams. I am on the Board of the Denver, South Park &
Pacific Historical Society in Colorado. A couple of weeks ago we were
contacted about the availability of a "1906 Pullman Passenger car"
and a 1950's era steel caboose sitting on Main St. in Lyons,
Colorado. I was picked to take a look since I only live about 35
miles away. I contacted the owner & made arrangements to meet the
following day.

I was given access to the interior of the Passenger Car by the
present occupant who has been running his business out of the cars.
(he is a Celtic Artist). I know very little about standard gauge
passenger cars-Pullman built or otherwise so I will pass on what I
noted & the limited information I received from the present occupant
& owner.

-The Colorado RR Museum had informed them that the Passenger Car had
 originally been used as a Diner and later a Visitors Center in
 Winter Park, CO. A sister car is also being used as a commercial
 structure in Nederland, CO.
-Both cars are sitting on the ground on some type of foundation. All
 of the running gear on the passenger car has been removed. The owner
 said that the trucks & running gear had been setting in a
 residential front yard until a few weeks ago. He had attempted to
 sell them with no takers & finally ended up selling them for scrap!
 I could not confirm this.
-The Passenger car is wood sheathed with closed vestibules. (appears
 to be approx. 60 ft. in length. The occupant said that several
 layers of various colored paint had been removed. The car had been
 Maintenance Orange when it was moved to this location. The
 vestibules have some kind of steel sheating attached with some type
 of round head nails. This sheathing is painted a Pullman Green.
 The letter board has the number 1906 on both ends with Burlington
 in  the center. This lettering appears to have been added after
 stripping.
-All glass has been replaced...lower side windows clear...upper side
 windows someone's idea of stained glass. Looks like the clerestory
 windows may be clear acrylic.
-The interior is being used as an office/storage/residence. The
 car is attached at a 90 deg. angle to a hole cut in the side of the
 caboose to allow pass thru. I could find no
 original/seating/appliances, etc. The 2 side rooms on both ends of
 the car are still in place...one lavatory is in use with updated
 fixtures. The opposite end looks like it may have had a small
 cookstove at one time, just a guess.
-The mahogany side wall paneling is in surprisingly good condition. I
 could not tell the condition of the floor since it was covered with
 rug's, bookcases, etc.

The D.S.&P.H.S. was not interested in acquiring the car/cars since
this car had little to do with the "South Park" other than possibly
having the same parent company at one time.

The restoration group headed by Jason Midyet in Boulder, CO had shown
an interest. Unfortunately the owner is looking at this as an
investment. He had them appraised by an Eastern Railroad Auction
house. They said $65,000 for the Passenger Car & $9,500 for the
Caboose. I told the owner I would pass on this information in case
someone is interested. I told him I would also try to find some
additional info. on them if I could.

If there is any interest he said I could pass on his Name & Phone No.
& could be contacted directly.

Thanks for any help you can pass my way. Sorry about the length of
this....The moderator will probably get bored about halfway thru &
toss it in the trash bin!!

Brian Adams
Director
Denver, South Park & Pacific Historical Society