Re: [CBQ] BLI CZ Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BLI CZ Cars
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 07:34:30 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
They (the EB dome coaches) are slab side - but the roof is the
same.  I haven't got one to test so it is mere speculation, but I
will eventually try it - putting a EB dome on a BLI CZ body.  The
dome is superior (IMO).  I'd like to see how much different it looks.

If the windows were right - and I haven't checked any of this - there
are overlays to use on flat surfaces for the corrugations.

In the final analysis, it depends on your tolerance for closeness to
prototype.  Yet another option is to try the Con-Cor window section
with a BLI body.  That seems counter productive, but you'd at least
have the right window groupings.  Trying to start with a Con-Cor body
would be really useless - you'd have to modify the underbody,
skirting, corrugations, roof - the tooling definitely reflects the
age it was made.

Another option, if it weren't for that same dilemma for the plating,
is to contact either Laser Horizons for the body and use the Walthers
body for the core.  That would likely end up with the most accurate
combination.  For all that, it would also work for the other cars as
well.  The dome obs would have to be a splice of a end cap on a dome
coach body, but you'd at least get the dome where it belongs and the
window spacing right.  It would end up as a Frankenstein of a core to
get the tail and the roof, but you can sometimes get the Tavern car
cheaply from Walthers.  The parlor & diner could be done on other
cores, more likely (and again, I haven't investigated, would have to
look at the vents) either the coaches or the 10-6s.  I'm not sure the
grill would work for the diner.   I have to check the RPO length.  Of
course, then you are stuck, as I say with the finish - but at least
the sides would be right - and then the rest of us could get them!

At 11:52 PM 7/5/2007, you wrote:
>Along with the plating issue, upon using the Walthers Empire Builder Short
>Domes, there is the fluting issue. The EB and NCL Domes had a
>modified fluting
>on the car sides to better match the smooth side ACF and PS cars in the
>consist.  Of course other railroads used the modified Budd fluting as well.
>
>You would be closer to using the EB short domes as NCL dome coaches.
>Although they're not exact but close. Of course the EB short domes
>wouldn't be  close
>to the NCL Pullman (sleeper) domes built by Budd.
>
>Scott why not buy the undecorated BLI CZ cars?
>
>Loren Johnson

Bob Webber