Re: [CBQ] Rail

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rail
From: Ted Schnepf <railsunl@foxvalley.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 20:41:38 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Mark,

I have not seen a reply, so will draw upon my 28 years as a railroad
civil engineer.

Your answer is in the CBQ "track charts" or "condensed profile books"
the Q kept by division. There should be a line in the chart that
shows the weight of the rail, the mill and the year rolled and maybe
the year installed if second or third placement rail.    All rails
are stamped in raised letters with the mill name and the year rolled
and other information.  Also each rail basically has a serial number
showing which bloom it originated from.

As a general statement I would think the Q purchased new rail from US
Steel South Works in Chicago and CF&I in Pueblo, Colo.  Both are
close to Q rails and transpiration costs could be kept lower.  There
may have also been times the Q purchased rail possibly outside its
immediate area, such as Bethlehem Steel in Pa. or other mills.

The history of Rail on the Q would certainly be interesting, but a
dry topic for most fans.

One note of caution.  As the Q had only a small amount of welded rail
at the time of the merger into BN, you can not generally look today
for the mill marks on the former Q routes, as the rail, if not
purchased new for the rail relay, may have come from the GN or the NP
during the welding projects of the early BN years.  Bolted rail on
former Q routes is probably original Q rail.

At 03:26 PM 5/2/2007, you wrote:

>Dear Group,
>
>I understand the Q got it's ties from the company tie plant at
>Galesburg, but where did the rail come from? Eastern steel mills or
>somewhere a bit closer. I'm guessing the rail was not manufactured in-
>house.
>
>Just wondering.
>
>Mark Bristow
>UK

Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@foxvalley.net
847-697-5353 or 5366
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://users.foxvalley.net/~railsunl/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used.  HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 4% added).

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.