[CBQ] Re: Rail

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Rail
From: "Bob Campbell" <amtrak347@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 19:35:50 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Reeves" <drale99@...> wrote:

> Hi Ted:

> One question I have never had answered is this:  How is long,
continuous
> welded rail possible?  I would think thermal expansion and
contraction would
> buckle the rail and wreak havoc with the entire  roadbed
construction.

I have
> also been curious about how you avoid problems on curves due to
tension in
> the train.

  Dale Reeves

Dale -

"Rail Creep" is pretty well controlled by the installation of "rail
anchors" on both sides of the crosstie under the rail.  So long as
the anchor is kept "snug" up against the "tie", creep is kept to a
minimum.  Poor "anchoring" leads to "pull aparts" in the winter
and "sun kinks" in the summer.  Heavy ballasting on the outside of
curves keeps the track in place.  "Stringlining" a train on a curve
takes in a lot of factors, such as tonnage, grade, HPT, track
geometry, etc.

Bob Campbell