Re: [CBQ] Rail

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rail
From: "Dale Reeves" <drale99@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:07:05 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Ted:  My appologies for being ten days behind.  Haven't checked my email
for awhile.  As an old structural engineer, I have an idea we could have
some interesting discussions.  I was not a RR engineer, but did a lot of
bridge design, including a few RR bridges, and I worked a lot among civil
engineers. I loved structures!  Also got quite involved in embankments on
many projects of various kinds.  Roadbeds and bridges always fascinated me,
and I always marvelled at how they were designed, constructed, and kept in
safe condition under the tremendous, repeated pounding of heavy railroad
traffic.

One question I have never had answered is this:  How is long, continuous
welded rail possible?  I would think thermal expansion and contraction would
buckle the rail and wreak havoc with the entire  roadbed construction.  I'm
used to placing frequent expansion joints in any long steel members.  I have
also been curious about how you avoid problems on curves due to tension in
the train.  I once stood in the middle of the "Horseshoe" in PA and watched
long freights with the front-end heading 180 degrees off from the rear-end.
What resists the resultant of the tension it takes to pull the grades on the
"Horseshoe"?  Dale Reeves