[CBQ] Oriental Limited / Korea Brass O5 models...

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Oriental Limited / Korea Brass O5 models...
From: atsf3460@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 02:40:19 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Has anyone noticed these models showing up via dealers or on eBay at  bargain
prices.  I've seen a few on eBay sell for around $600 or so in the  past two
years or so.  I would have thought by now there would have been a  fire-sale
on these models since I can't imagine Oriental sold out of these  models.  Just
after Oriental did their O5s Challenger released  their versions.  Perhaps
Oriental didn't import that many  models?

As an example of a brass fire-sale there were runs of Rio Grande  and
Milwaukee Road 4-8-4s produced in the mid-90s by Overland that were  apparently
very
overproduced (I think painted Milwaukee 4-8-4s got down in price  to something
like $800 or so and you could get unpainted models for something  like $595 -
just outrageous).  The Milwaukee 4-8-4s were apparently so  overproduced that
OMI may have taken a tax break on these models and scrapped  them and others
to reduce taxable inventory.  Apparently they were sold as  scrap possibly
thru the Indiana IRS and wound up on eBay after being packed in  barrels
without
boxes and purchased thru something like a state auction.   There for a while
they were showing up on eBay for something like $300 or so  with damage!  All
this information is via the Brass Collector group on  Yahoo where the story
came out.

Mike Martin