[CBQ] 1967 Chicago Blizzard

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 1967 Chicago Blizzard
From: "Cyril T. Svobodny" <ctsvobodny@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:14:47 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It is not Q, but it is railroad.  1967 was my folks 25th anniversary
(1/24).  They had decided to go to Las Vegas.  I talked them into
taking the train, since mom had never been west.  They were routed by
UP, on the Rock Island from St. Paul to Des Moines, then to Omaha on
the RI, and UP Omaha to Nevada.  Return was the reverse, however upon
arriving in Omaha (on Friday) coming back they learned the RI was still
in Chicago and had not run since Tuesday. They came Omaha to
Minneapolis via Greyhound instead.  I found out later that La Salle
station only had one track open, the throat was plugged by snow & a NYC
derailed train.  A photo of the NYC derailed baggage car appeared in
Life mag.  Mom and Dad had a great trip otherwise and saw some great
country and fun in Vegas. While Chicago got 20+ inches of snow the Twin
Cities got 1/2+ inch of ice.  Which also made for some interesting fun.