[CBQ] Wide Loads and Buda. Ill

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Wide Loads and Buda. Ill
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:40:10 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
>From a Dispatchers stand point each load that exceeded weight, height or width
>had to have a wire sent from the Company office showing the shipper,  receiver
>and any routing problems.  Each was given an A, B C or D with a file in the
>Chief Dispatchers office which covered the load.  A = 10' 6" to say `10' 10"
>B= 10'10'-11' 6" Etc with over hang loads G-George.  Like poles or pipe using
>more then one car.
The Main Line(Aurora to Galesburg ) did not have much problem taking any load
But even in the '80's the files had you looking out for water cranes,  Platform
overhangs and even Semaphores most long gone.  Buda with the overhead bridges
was a rare place as the westward siding had to get under the overhead bridges
so the clearance was tight under the bridges as the tracks ran close together.
And Buda was right at the top of Buda Hill the ruling grade for the Subdivision
 And with the installation of the Hot Box Detector at Bad Order cars were set
out there.  The DS had to remember to tell the crew to shove back around the
corner so wide loads would not hit the bad order spotted on the track.  It use
to be one of the few spots you could get water.  I know we run diesels but some
times they still needed to stop and take on water.  You had to shove down the
pass to the depot to get close enough so the hose would reach.
Buda has one of the few  Q Stucco Depots left still in service (or it was a few
years ago when I rode with the Track Inspector)
Buda had a three stall Roundhouse complete with a 63 Ft. Turntable.  A grain
Elevator(from photos) and remember and elevator did not only ship out grain but
also received feed, Lumber, Fencing, Coal, and Fertilizer.  The Stock track
shows up on the drawing 7 pens with 8 car capacity.  I think coal came up the
branch from Elwood and Yates City.  Co coal may have went to Mendota for the
Coal Chute there.
Wide loads were a bigger problem on lines with closer track centers like the La
Crosse Div from Savanna to St. Croix.  Often if it was not brought to the
attention of the train crews wide loads would slip out of the Twin Cities
headed south.  One time on a road trip we found out we had wide loads while
making a setout at East Winona.  And it was so foggy you could not even see the
fusee signals.  There use to be Center Sidings north of Savanna to St. Croix
and you would have to meet the wide loads there or in the yard at Savanna or
North Lacrosse.  We use to ship a lot of Airplane parts which were wide loads
between KC and Seattle.  They could not pass but one DS had a pair pass in the
nite and found out later after they were discovered in day light.
I better head for bed
SJH