[CBQ] Running for Water

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Running for Water
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:15:33 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Long after the BN merger we were still working under the CB&Q/BRT schedule.
In that schedule(by the way schedule here means the agreement covering rates of
pay,arbitraries,etc and you can  bet there was one in every grip) was a rule
entitled "running for fuel or water". Leaving out the legalese, it stated that
if you had to cut off and run engine lite for fuel or water the miles covered
would be paid in excess of the advertised trip miles.
One fine day in the dead of winter while headed east with one of those #182's
which were 90 plus loads of lumber headed to the eastern connections, our
lead unit ran low on radiator water about Carter. Not wanting to drain it and
ride in a freezing cold cab to Cicero we got the OK to leave the train at
Stratford and run lite to Oregon for water, return to the train and continue
the trip
east. This was accomplished w/o incident.
As head brkmn I made the trip Stratford-Oregon-Stratford for water and turned
in a timeslip for the miles.
The time slip was dutifully rejected by the time keepers office under the
ruling "that if legitmate the Condr. would have turned in a timeslip for the
whole crew". Now Lew wasn't know to be aggressive in filing arbitrary timeslips
and when I showed him the declination he said he would not file for the whole
crew since the rear end hadn't moved. The next time I saw the engineer,Deputy
Dog Ray Hathaway, I asked him if he had filed for the miles and he said
yes.Asked if he was paid he said yes ?!
Needless to say your's truly wrote detailed response to the declination
including a copy of the rule and was then promptly paid. Didn't even have to
trouble the local chairman with a claims conference.

Leo