Re: [CBQ] Working Over Town

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Working Over Town
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:38:26 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Another good and previously "unrevealed" aspect of railroading in the "big
city" by Leo...chronicler of "tales of the rails" from all angles.

I must confess that  though suburban trainmen on the Rock Island  did exactly
the same kinds of "over town" jobs that Leo discussed I had never  heard that
particular designation given to it.

The Rock Island boys were a bit more conveniently located to the Chicago
Board of Train than CB&Q men were, but they all worked   those in  between jobs
in the same basic fashion.

In what Leo described as "the good old days" it seems that railroad men
tended to be a bit more "money hungry...which is not a bad thing at all....than

they perhaps are today...Leo does the present generation still work "over
town"??

I'll try to get a little treatise on "stopover cars" out tomorrow....This
was a tariff  abomination right up there with "storage in transit" and
"milling
in transit" which I'll include after a little more pondering.

Pete