[CBQ] early morning commuter train

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] early morning commuter train
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:02:55 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I know that the DG house track was used regularly for commuter trains
originating from the DG commuter yard, but that ended in 1952 when
steam was eliminated and the yard was shut down. I am not familiar
with the train you are talking about, but then, in those days, I
would not have been down at the depot at that time on a week day. It
could have been an early morning short turn from Chicago, but then
there would have been no way to turn it around in the late '50s,
prior to push-pulls without going all the way to Aurora. The other
possibility is that it originated in Aurora and stopped at DG to load
express. That very likely would have been done on the house track on
the south side of the depot. In the '50s, the house track had access
from both the east and west ends. The west switch was located just
west of Forest Avenue. Was it's equipment gallery cars with a power car?

Bill Barber