Re: [CBQ] Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Chicago Union Station
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:15:27 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have been on an Amtrak train when we have wyed at that junction.

  20 car Denver Zephyrs have been wyed there.  Theoretically, one leg of the
wye goes to Denver, the other to Pittsburgh.  Thus a train of any length can be
turned on it.

  As a kid, I always wondered how the Denver and California Zephyrs got turned
around between trips (this was after I finally figured out that the trains were
turned).  I used to imagine a big loop in both Denver and Chicago yards.
Meanwhile, I was actually passing the wye on which the train was turned in
Chicago and actually wyeing on the one in Denver when I would arrive there on
the CZ.  It is amazing how questions of one's toddlerhood answer so obviously
as an adult.

  sjl

Dale Reeves <drale99@verizon.net> wrote:
          Assuming they turn the entire train on that wye, it must an enormous
configuration. Hard to beliveve it! I've been outbound from Union Station
a number of times in the past, but didn't ever realize I was on a wye. (Come
to think about it, how else would they get those trains turned?)
Interesting. Dale Reeves