[CBQ] Re: Chicago Railroad Fair

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Railroad Fair
From: "William Arthur Gibson Jr." <artg216@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:57:22 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Bob Webber <no17@...> wrote:

> Written 6 years back.  Note that in 1949, the Rio Grande train was
> run.  The C&S train was run but not as often.
>
> In 1948, a railroad fair was held on Chicago's lakefront. A narrow
> gauge railroad ran alongside and around all of the modern railroad
> equipment and displays at the fair.
>
> The Burlington Railroad, as part of their 100th anniversary,
offered
> to supply the train.  The Burlington gathered up some "retired"
> narrow gauge equipment and sent it to their Aurora Shops to be
> reconditioned.  Sent to Chicago were C&S no. 9 (2-6-0, currently
> residing in Silver Plume, CO) and 6 cars.  The railroad was given
the
> name Deadwood Central.  The locomotive, kept its original number
9,
> but was named Chief Crazy Horse. The Mail Express Car (originally
C&S
> RPO no. 13) was named "Buffalo Bill".  Four Open-Air Observation
Cars
> (gondolas with seats and an awning roof) were named Calamity Jane,
> Poker Alice, Wild Bill Hickok, and Sitting Bull.  The Office
> Car  (originally C&S No. 911) was the only piece of equipment that
> didn't follow the South Dakota naming theme - it was named
Leadville
> for the "world famous Colorado mining town".   Numerous reference
> books also place coach 76 at this fair, and the paint chips from
that
> car seems to bear that out.
>
> The Deadwood Central even issued a timetable.  Southbound trains
were
> to leave each station "often" and they were to arrive "on
> time."    There were 21 stops in all - everywhere from San
Francisco,
> to the Moffat Tunnel - and at a wide variety of exhibits in
between.

> The fair went on for a second year, but the Deadwood Central was
not
> included.  In its place was the Cripple Creek & Tin Cup Railroad -
> equipment provided by the Denver & Rio Grande Western.  That
> equipment survived the fair and is still around today as well -
led
> by No. 268 displayed in Gunnison.
>
> No. 9 was a fair veteran, having also participated at the New York
> World's Fair of 1939.  One of the more common photos of it shows
the
> locomotive at the head of a two-car train in Denver, just prior to
> shipment to New York.  A Burlington Route herald adorns the
tender,
> the black is still glossy, and the graphite smoke box and firebox
are
> bright, without a hint of cinders. One of the cars is RPO no. 13,
and
> the second car is coach no. 76.  In Poor's book, he mentions that
the
> no. 13 and no. 76 went to the New York fair as well as to the
Chicago
> fair, even though the program and timetable of the Chicago's fair
> does not indicate np. 76 was there. We can thank these railroad
fairs
> for the continued existence of the locomotive, RPO and business
car
> and coach no. 76.
>
> That business car 911 survived at all is a wonder.  It was
supposed
> to be scrapped in the '30s. However, the cost to scrap the car was
> too much, so it was decided to retain the car.
>
> What of this equipment today?  Well, as stated previously, engine
> no.9, and cars 13, 76 and 911 are all with us still.  The
equipment
> originally was sent from the fair to the Black Hills, where it was
> supposed to be run on a tourist railroad.  After sitting idle for
> years, the equipment was returned to Colorado.  Restoration and
> display of the equipment is planned and eventual operation is very
> possible.   The Colorado Historical Society is responsible for the
> restoration.  The equipment will be stored in a "glass case" at
> Silver Plume (the equipment must be stored out of the elements in
> order to obtain the grants needed for restoration).  Coach 76 also
is
> slated for restoration - and this car is just about ready for
paint.
> The extensive rebuild of the sides of 76 was because the interior
> side structure between the inner and outer walls had rotted
> away.  Funds are in place for the restoration of 76 and 13.  Funds
> still have to be raised for 911.
>

> At 01:27 AM 10/29/2006, Cyril T. Svobodny wrote:
> >During 1948 & 49 the CB&Q as well as most all other railroads in
this
> >country had displays at the Chicago Railroad Fair.  Part of the
Q's
> >display was C&S #9 a 2-6-0, bag/mail 12, coach 76, and bus car
911.
> >These were all narrow gauge.  I recall a old time Q steam train
running
> >thru ther grounds giving rides.  But is was longer than 3 cars.
Any
> >info would be appreciated.  I have several 2-1/2 square photos
from the
> >fair including the end of the oldtime depot, some of the train,
and
> >other items around the grounds.  One of the cars was
named "Deadeye
> >Dick".  Can't tell if it was a woody or steel made to look like
wood.
> >I was only 6 years old at the time(1948), the memory is fuzzy.
>
> Bob Webber

I can assure you that the coach 76 was at Chicago both in 1948 and
1949. I rode it both years. Previously I had ridden it from Denver
to Leadville and return in 1937, as had my Dad. I was interested in
riding it as a 12 and 13 year old, because on the 1937 trip, I was
only 9 months old and had no memory of said ride. Art Gibson