Re: [CBQ] Rail length

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rail length
From: "Philip Weibler" <pawnbaw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:49:04 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello, CBQlist -  When the steel mill rolls rail it comes out in a long,
continuous strip.  It is cut to length for shipment.  In the "good old days" of
wooden cars and iron men when most freight cars were 34ft long it was cut to
33ft.  When 40ft flat cars became standard after the turn of the (other)
century the rail was cut to 39ft.  Seems like modern mills could adapt their
methods to load long ribbons directly onto a string of cars, except for the
business of "controlled cooling"......But what can we expect from an industry
that isn't even 200 years old yet?  PAW