[CBQ] Chicago Railroad Fair

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Chicago Railroad Fair
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:48:03 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Written 6 years back.  Note that in 1949, the Rio Grande train was
run.  The C&S train was run but not as often.

In 1948, a railroad fair was held on Chicago's lakefront. A narrow
gauge railroad ran alongside and around all of the modern railroad
equipment and displays at the fair.

The Burlington Railroad, as part of their 100th anniversary, offered
to supply the train.  The Burlington gathered up some "retired"
narrow gauge equipment and sent it to their Aurora Shops to be
reconditioned.  Sent to Chicago were C&S no. 9 (2-6-0, currently
residing in Silver Plume, CO) and 6 cars.  The railroad was given the
name Deadwood Central.  The locomotive, kept its original number 9,
but was named Chief Crazy Horse. The Mail Express Car (originally C&S
RPO no. 13) was named "Buffalo Bill".  Four Open-Air Observation Cars
(gondolas with seats and an awning roof) were named Calamity Jane,
Poker Alice, Wild Bill Hickok, and Sitting Bull.  The Office
Car  (originally C&S No. 911) was the only piece of equipment that
didn't follow the South Dakota naming theme - it was named Leadville
for the "world famous Colorado mining town".   Numerous reference
books also place coach 76 at this fair, and the paint chips from that
car seems to bear that out.

The Deadwood Central even issued a timetable.  Southbound trains were
to leave each station "often" and they were to arrive "on
time."    There were 21 stops in all - everywhere from San Francisco,
to the Moffat Tunnel - and at a wide variety of exhibits in between.

The fair went on for a second year, but the Deadwood Central was not
included.  In its place was the Cripple Creek & Tin Cup Railroad -
equipment provided by the Denver & Rio Grande Western.  That
equipment survived the fair and is still around today as well - led
by No. 268 displayed in Gunnison.

No. 9 was a fair veteran, having also participated at the New York
World's Fair of 1939.  One of the more common photos of it shows the
locomotive at the head of a two-car train in Denver, just prior to
shipment to New York.  A Burlington Route herald adorns the tender,
the black is still glossy, and the graphite smoke box and firebox are
bright, without a hint of cinders. One of the cars is RPO no. 13, and
the second car is coach no. 76.  In Poor's book, he mentions that the
no. 13 and no. 76 went to the New York fair as well as to the Chicago
fair, even though the program and timetable of the Chicago's fair
does not indicate np. 76 was there. We can thank these railroad fairs
for the continued existence of the locomotive, RPO and business car
and coach no. 76.

That business car 911 survived at all is a wonder.  It was supposed
to be scrapped in the '30s. However, the cost to scrap the car was
too much, so it was decided to retain the car.

What of this equipment today?  Well, as stated previously, engine
no.9, and cars 13, 76 and 911 are all with us still.  The equipment
originally was sent from the fair to the Black Hills, where it was
supposed to be run on a tourist railroad.  After sitting idle for
years, the equipment was returned to Colorado.  Restoration and
display of the equipment is planned and eventual operation is very
possible.   The Colorado Historical Society is responsible for the
restoration.  The equipment will be stored in a "glass case" at
Silver Plume (the equipment must be stored out of the elements in
order to obtain the grants needed for restoration).  Coach 76 also is
slated for restoration - and this car is just about ready for paint.
The extensive rebuild of the sides of 76 was because the interior
side structure between the inner and outer walls had rotted
away.  Funds are in place for the restoration of 76 and 13.  Funds
still have to be raised for 911.

At 01:27 AM 10/29/2006, Cyril T. Svobodny wrote:
>During 1948 & 49 the CB&Q as well as most all other railroads in this
>country had displays at the Chicago Railroad Fair.  Part of the Q's
>display was C&S #9 a 2-6-0, bag/mail 12, coach 76, and bus car 911.
>These were all narrow gauge.  I recall a old time Q steam train running
>thru ther grounds giving rides.  But is was longer than 3 cars.  Any
>info would be appreciated.  I have several 2-1/2 square photos from the
>fair including the end of the oldtime depot, some of the train, and
>other items around the grounds.  One of the cars was named "Deadeye
>Dick".  Can't tell if it was a woody or steel made to look like wood.
>I was only 6 years old at the time(1948), the memory is fuzzy.

Bob Webber