Re: [CBQ] Steel Water Tanks

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com,CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Steel Water Tanks
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:48:48 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I'm making a couple of huge assumptions, but....

One assumption is that the Q had station engineering maps - not
station maps.  The maps I'm familiar with are the ones that the D&RGW
& D&SL had:
http://www.drgw.org/store/maps.htm
(take a look at the sample Alamosa map - adobe reader is required)
Based on the shading and color, you can tell if the structure is
built from wood, steel, brick or what ever.  These maps were issued
periodically, so there are several eras represented.

The next assumption is that there are some of these maps available in
the CB&Q archives at the Newberry library - or perhaps some other
location that some other member might have a clue about.   If so, it
would be a matter of making a trip there and/or requesting a copy be
made of the map and settle some of the questions once and for
all.   They are an immense reference tool - as some are big enough
that they would be larger than largest straight wall in my basement
(over 40') - the detail on some is fairly impressive.  Some are a lot
easier to handle, size varies in my experience, wildly.

If you can find the matching engineering notes, you have an even better tool.

Which brings me to the third assumption.  On the ICC valuation maps
there should be a similar indication of structures, though not as
detailed.  And, there should be engineering notes associated with
those maps (as there are with every valuation map).  Now, the
original maps and notes *may* be in College Park , MD, but they may
also be else where - I know, as one example, the Colorado RR Museum
in Golden has the Valuation maps and notes for the D&RGW, C&S and
other roads within Colorado.  So it may be possible that a large
library, perhaps a college library, in Iowa may have the valuation
maps and notes.

The engineering notes also come with photos, or albums of photos that
depict most important buildings - and not just railroad buildings -
along a given branch or mainline.  For instance, in towns in
Colorado, they show granaries, banks, lumber dealers and the like.

A fourth often over looked source is the Library of Congress American
Life or other collection - where by the CCC or other organization
sent out photographers in the late 30's to collect images of typical
Americana.  Again, using Colorado as an example, schools, buildings,
mines, cattle and sheep pens, loading ore & sheep into narrow gauge
trains, etc, are depicted (and much of THAT is on line).

At 03:16 PM 10/5/2006, Rob Adams wrote:
>Hi Duncan;
>
>The water tower and roundhouse at Keokuk are things I'm still trying to
>sort out myself.  In earlier years, the water tank was wood (see
><www.castlegraphics.com> and look for a shot of CB&Q 1632 among the pics
>of CB&Q 0-6-0's.  Assuming the location was reported correctly on the
>original photo, you'll see a partial view of the roundhouse and water
>tank).  Now whether the tank was always wood, I have yet to determine.
>One reason for my uncertainty is that I have a photo taken along the
>shore of the Mississippi looking upstream from National Carbide that
>seems to show a steel water tank in the distance.  Unfortunately, the
>trees obscure nearly all the other landmarks so it is impossible to tell
>where that tank is.  I've been unable to determine whether that was a Q
>tank, a Rock Island tank, or neither.  I'm sure the answer will come
>immediately after one of us makes assumptions and builds a model for
>Keokuk based on them.
>
>Best regards, Rob

Bob Webber