[CBQ] Re: Number of crewmembers on commuter trains

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Number of crewmembers on commuter trains
From: Steven Suhs <gcbear205@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:02:36 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Group

  Current Metra crew consists  be it in push or pull mode is 1 engineer 1
conductor and 1 collector (brakeman). During the rush hour some trains might
warrant an extra collector. These "extra collectors" might actually work one
train then get off and board another train. This seems to be standard
regardless of which Metra line is worked. I'm sure there might be some
varitiations based upon which railroad one is actually working or worked for
when Metra took over operations.

  I recall crew consist back in the 1970's (Rock Island) of 1 engineer 1
fireman 1 conductor and 2 collectors. In the push mode both the engineer and
fireman rode in the cab car as there was room for 2 persons with a seat on both
sides of the center aisle. I'm sure during the CB&Q days the crew consist were
similar.

  Steve Suhs

  How many crewmembers typically manned a CB&Q commuter train? I would
gues there were 2 in the loocomtive (engineer and fireman), and
conductors. But if that was the case, where was the fireman when the
train was in "push" mode instead of "pull" mode? Also, how many
locomotive crew does the RTA use today on the same line? Do they have
two locomotive crewmembers or just 1?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM