[CBQ] Re: Number of crewmembers on commuter trains

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Number of crewmembers on commuter trains
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:01:19 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tom,

In the Q days, there was an engineer, a fireman, a conductor and at
least two trainmen or "collectors". There may have been more
collectors on longer (8 nor 9 car) trains. As for the position of the
fireman on the "push" or eastbound portion of the trip, the fireman
had his own "compartment" on the left side of the cab car. As I
recall, the compartment was built so that the two could see and talk
to each other during the trip, but I don't believe they could move
between the right and left side of the cab compartment except by
going out of the compartment and back through the front half of the
car to the other side. If the fireman was a qualified engineer, they
often each ran a portion of the trip, but always from the right side
of the cab car or locomotive, depending on direction.

Bob Campbell, on this list, can certainly provide more specific
details as I am sure, others also can. Bob worked many miles in
commuter service.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM