Re: [CBQ] Re: Calendar Photos

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Calendar Photos
From: John <sbmco1990@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
My dad work for Great Northern, he was a cabinet maker. He had one of those
caps, he had it for years! Till it wore out! That was way back, in the 50's and
60's!
  After that cap wore out, what can I say? He just wore regular, baseball caps!

Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com wrote:
          You're right re KROMER....Not only engine crews but all "real"
railroaders
of 40 or more years ago...including officials had one...

There was a story in TRAINS awhile back about "Stormy" Kromer and his
invention of the headpiece that today bears his name.

Also, in the days when it was worth your job to be caught outside without
your hat on..pre JFK most officers carried an abbreviated version of what would
have been called ear muffs.
They were an "ear shaped" band lined with Alpaca or some such material
connected on each end by an elastic strap. When it got really cold and you
didn't
have your KROMER with you you could snap these around your head, thus
covering your ears and still wear your required fedora.

Pete

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM