[CBQ] Re: CB&Q E unit horn wanted for F40PH business train

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q E unit horn wanted for F40PH business train
From: "zephyr98072" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 01:31:57 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dan Sabin:

Hopefully you will see this.  I believe you will find that the horns
on the CB&Q E units (the E9's at least) were Leslie Supertyfon Chime
Whistles Type S-2M-BO, with a #31 horn and a #44 horn.  If you are
trying to replicate the tones the CB&Q used, the correct tone
combination was more of a dischord than melodic.  The lower tone
was "D Flat" above middle C, and was fairly stable.  The higher tone
was originally "A" above middle C, and over time on some units would
drop to somewhere between "G Sharp and A", but not close enough to G
to lose the dischord sound.  The higher tone chime would also
frequently produce a much more shrill tone on a quick whistle that was
the 2nd "G" above middle C.  On sustained blasts of the whistle the
2nd "G" above middle C was unstable and would quickly lower to "A"
above middle C.  Hope this helps.

Glen Haug

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM