RE: [CBQ] Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:04:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The four Overton Books are:

?Burlington West - A Colonization History of the Burlington Route?
1941 Harvard University Press

?Gulf To Rockies ? The Heritage of the Fort Worth and Denver ? Colorado and
Southern Railways, 1861-1898?
1953 University of Texas Press
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 53-10833

?Burlington Route ? A History of the Burlington Lines?
1965 Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. Distributed by Random House
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 64-19106

?Perkins/Budd ? Railway Statesmen of the Burlington?
1982 Greenwood Press
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 81-6961
ISSN: 0084-9235
ISBN: 0-313-23173-7

All of these offer very a valuable history and are excellent, yet each has
its own flavor and purpose.   The ?Burlington West? volume gives a very
detailed history of the Q?s Land Development Department, but cannot do so
without covering historical aspects of the early Burlington lines.  The 2nd
book covers the history and development of the lines that became the FW&D
and C&S, which then became a part of the Q.  The 3rd volume deals more with
the development of the railroad and is probably the most interesting to the
casual Q fan.  It does lightly delve into the leaders of the Q and their
philosophies, but the last volume digs deeply into the leadership of two of
the Burlington?s greatest presidents, Perkins and Budd.  It is a very
interesting book.

Dave Lotz
Pooler, GA