Re: [CBQ] BWL CZ

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BWL CZ
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:28:58 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Unfortunately, no one makes full width diaphragms for Budd (they are
different from the ones available for P-S or ACF cars).  The hope is
that Hi-Tech details or CoachYard will make some - but the price will
be up there.   I haven't heard any plans though.  Charlie may have
more information - maybe with all of the comments about them,
Broadway may come up with them.

At 01:12 AM 12/20/2005, you wrote:
>Bob -
>I am modeling D&RGW, CB&Q, and WP in the late 1940s and early
>1950s.   I have the Athearn Genesis Q F3s and WP F3s and am painting
>a Like-Like set of PA/PB/PA to the original black and yellow of
>D&RGW, so full-width diaphragms would be appropriate to the CZ at
>that time.   What would be a good-looking full-width HO diaphragm
>that operates well?   I do not have a layout at this time, but I am
>planning for a layout that will have rather broad curves, much wider
>than 22".   These cars would look ridiculous on curves that tight.
>- John Manion
>   Denver, CO

>From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
>
> > John, yes they had full width diaphragms. They lasted until at least 1952.
> >
> > I have some slides of interiors of the cars, I'll have to look and
> > find them. I wouldn't worry too much about matching them though.
> >
> > As far as windows, I am personally hoping for someone to come out
> > with laser cut ones. They have them now for the Walthers &
> > Branchline SW cars, so it might happen - especially as it seems a lot
> > of people are less than pleased with the results to date. One
> > problem is that the blinds are installed OUTSIDE the glass. Likely
> > done as an issue with the construction, but it does make for some
> problems.
> >
> > The dome windows are a different thing entirely as I doubt there will
> > be any third party players there. Unfortunately, as the worst
> > looking thing on the cars is the glass in the domes.
> >
> > The interiors are kind of blob-like - especially when compared to the
> > Walthers SW cars. Unfortunate, but fixable if you want to.
> >

> > At 06:32 PM 12/19/2005, you wrote:
> > >I now have 12 of my BWL CZ cars - enough for a full train except for
> > >the vista-dome dorm car and the vista-dome observation, which should
> > >be coming by the end of the month. The models are great, except for
> > >the dome windows, which has been a concern for all dome models. I
> > >am thinking about using clear styrene and canopy glue to fill in the
> > >spaces on each window so that they come out even with the
> > >frames. Has anyone tried this idea? I have heard that canopy
> > >glue is used by modelers of plastic aircraft and dries to a clear
> > >finish. I have some Con-Cor CZ cars and may experiment on them
> > >before doing anything with the BWL cars.
> > >
> > >My biggest concern now is the interior colors, which are all
> > >green. The only source I have on interior colors of the CZ are a
> > >couple of videos which show brief scenes of interiors in a couple of
> > >cars. My biggest concern is the interior colors for the domes, as
> > >these will be most visible. Does anyone know of a source for color
> > >photos of the car interiors or painting instructions for
> > >them? BWL's instructions say that the sleepers had rose-tan, petal
> > >beige, Norway blue, shades of gray, and ashes of roses and soft
> > >greens. Does anyone know how these colors could be mixed from
> > >common model paints?

> [...]

Bob Webber

For $25, 15 Afghan women can learn to read. Your gift can make a difference.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rQ8GtB/SdGMAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM