Re: [CBQ] BWL CZ

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BWL CZ
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:12:36 +0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob -
I am modeling D&RGW, CB&Q, and WP in the late 1940s and early 1950s.   I have
the Athearn Genesis Q F3s and WP F3s and am painting a Like-Like set of
PA/PB/PA to the original black and yellow of D&RGW, so full-width diaphragms
would be appropriate to the CZ at that time.   What would be a good-looking
full-width HO diaphragm that operates well?   I do not have a layout at this
time, but I am planning for a layout that will have rather broad curves, much
wider than 22".   These cars would look ridiculous on curves that tight.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>

> John, yes they had full width diaphragms. They lasted until at least 1952.
>
> I have some slides of interiors of the cars, I'll have to look and
> find them. I wouldn't worry too much about matching them though.
>
> As far as windows, I am personally hoping for someone to come out
> with laser cut ones. They have them now for the Walthers &
> Branchline SW cars, so it might happen - especially as it seems a lot
> of people are less than pleased with the results to date. One
> problem is that the blinds are installed OUTSIDE the glass. Likely
> done as an issue with the construction, but it does make for some problems.
>
> The dome windows are a different thing entirely as I doubt there will
> be any third party players there. Unfortunately, as the worst
> looking thing on the cars is the glass in the domes.
>
> The interiors are kind of blob-like - especially when compared to the
> Walthers SW cars. Unfortunate, but fixable if you want to.
>

> At 06:32 PM 12/19/2005, you wrote:
> >I now have 12 of my BWL CZ cars - enough for a full train except for
> >the vista-dome dorm car and the vista-dome observation, which should
> >be coming by the end of the month. The models are great, except for
> >the dome windows, which has been a concern for all dome models. I
> >am thinking about using clear styrene and canopy glue to fill in the
> >spaces on each window so that they come out even with the
> >frames. Has anyone tried this idea? I have heard that canopy
> >glue is used by modelers of plastic aircraft and dries to a clear
> >finish. I have some Con-Cor CZ cars and may experiment on them
> >before doing anything with the BWL cars.
> >
> >My biggest concern now is the interior colors, which are all
> >green. The only source I have on interior colors of the CZ are a
> >couple of videos which show brief scenes of interiors in a couple of
> >cars. My biggest concern is the interior colors for the domes, as
> >these will be most visible. Does anyone know of a source for color
> >photos of the car interiors or painting instructions for
> >them? BWL's instructions say that the sleepers had rose-tan, petal
> >beige, Norway blue, shades of gray, and ashes of roses and soft
> >greens. Does anyone know how these colors could be mixed from
> >common model paints?
> >
> >One other question I have at this point is on diaphragms. Did the
> >CZ cars ever have full-width diaphragms? If they did, when were
> >they changed to the door-width diaphragms?
> >
> >I asked these questions of BWL, and they referred me to Charlie Vlk
> >and the CBQ list. Thanks for any help you can give me on making a
> >museum quality CZ model.
> >- John Manion
> > Denver, CO

> >Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> Bob Webber
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/F9LvrA/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM