Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2614

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2614
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:31:11 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ,

The first 8 B-1s, built by Lima, and the first seven of the later
B-1a's built by Baldwin were all designed to burn lignite coal.
However, according to Bernard Corbin, in his "steam Locomotives of the
Burlington Route", some of the Limas (he doesn't say how many) were
later modified to burn bituminous coal, even though they retained their
characteristic extended smokebox. Indeed, he has photos of 7001 at Red
Oak in 1945 and Galesburg in 1939 and 7009 and 7014 at Red Oak in 1939.
Jan Kohl's Castle Graphics web site has several photos of extended
smokebox versions of B-1's at Chicago in later years  and they do not
appear to the identifying yellow square on the corner of the coal
bunker. It does seem to be present in all of the Corbin photos,
particularly 7001 at Galesburg. Could they burn bituminous coal in a
locomotive set up for lignite coal?

In fact, it appears that most Q locomotives, set up to burn lignite,
could actually burn either type of coal. If you look at the 1935 and
1952 roster sheets reprinted in Corbin's book, it notes that
locomotives set up strictly for lignite have a blank square symbol in
front of the road number. There is another symbol which is a square
with an "x" in  it with the notation "L & B front end". The square with
the "x" is shown in front each group of extended smokebox B-1
locomotives, not the blank square. I have interpreted the notation "L &
B front end" to be an indication of lignite or bituminous coal usage.
BTW, I find these assignment sheets to be very useful in determining
what major appliances various locomotives have. I frequently refer to
them. I wish I had more, particularly from the 1940's. They are also
great for determining what general area a given locomotive was assigned
and generally operated. One last comment on the B-1's; somewhere along
the way (it appears to be after 1939), 7014 (lignite), 7019 and 7020
(bituminous) were converted to oil. In 1952, two were assigned to the
Alliance Division and one to the Casper Division.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM