[CBQ] Re: 16 Section/Coach question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: 16 Section/Coach question
From: "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:02:44 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Denny, I agree with Charlie in regard to the ability of  the railroad shop
forces to convert
the cars with a quality outcome. However, Charlie.... "lowly Wabash"....? Fast
schedules, E
units, and Budd cars place Wabash in the ranks with the Q,  ACL. and couple of
others...
Or, was that a diversionary remark to shift one's thinking away from the notion
that BLI
may be considering a Blue Bird???

8-)

FWIW, my first recollection of a rebuilt CZ section sleeper is found in a photo
taken at Lisle
in 1963 of train 22, the eastbound Morning Zephyr. Silver Maple was in the
consist. Its
appearance supports statements that the exterior of the car was not changed. I
was
surprised to see and shoot a car lettered for the CZ in that train until I
learned of its
conversion some years later.

Best regards,

Ed DeRouin

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@c...> wrote:

> Denny-
> The conversion wasn't beyond the capabilities of any railroad's passenger
> car shops....
> I don't know exactly what was involved but AFAIK it was all interior
> work.... replacing the open sections with reclining coach seats, carpet, a
> little header ceiling work where the upper section berths were removed...
> I don't know if the washrooms and other support facilities...even if the
> mechanical systems....were modified.   Fairly simple "conversion"..... not
> anything approaching the work necessary if the cars had been 10-6s or other
> types with interior room partitions....although I think the WP would have
> been able to handle such a job.  They did a lot of heavyweight
> refurbishing....
> remember, even the lowly Wabash was able to take two ancient coaches and
> convert them to what looked like Pullman-Standard factory-built business
> cars.  Most all
> railroads could do very professional work with only the very smallest lines
> having to outsource such jobs.
> Charlie Vlk

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/F9LvrA/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM