[CBQ] Re: ??? re BroadwayLimited CZ cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: ??? re BroadwayLimited CZ cars
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 03:56:11 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Loren and other passenger train gurus:

Could someone possibly put together a suggested consist for the
Blackhawk using the newly released models from Walthers, BLI,
Branchline, etc. for 1967/68 timeframe? It would be very appreciated
for us late era modelers.

Also, does anyone know if any of the PRR or PC B60B baggage cars would
have shown up on the Blackhawk or other CB&Q trains around 1967/68?

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Aeolus3@a... wrote:

> The BLI CZ cars are plated. With the ownership letter boards on the
car ends,
> this makes the cars other than the 6-5 Pullmans, makes the cars un
prototype
> for any other of the Burlington Budd cars. The Budd built 6-5
Pullmans you'd
> have to change the lettering of the owner name boards to "Pullman"
that would
> make them prototype for the DZ 5-6 Pullmans such as Silver Pelican.
Of course
> that's the 56 DZ.
>
> I understand the undecorated cars are plated with all the letter
boards not
> named. Also the name boards are different lengths. The "CZ" name
boards are
> molded on the car body, which makes them not usable for the Rio
Grande Zephyr. I
> would have thought BLI would have considered this since the RGZ
didn't carry
> the big letter boards. Although I have seen shots of the early RGZ
with the big
> letterboards.
>
> If BLI on the undec cars would include a blank panel, fluted but
flush to the
> car side, for the ownership letter boards of the CZ cars, thus the
Baggage
> Car and Diner would be prototype for baggage cars Silver Treasure
(after the
> boiler was removed), Argo and Olympus and Diners Silver Salver and
Silver Feast
> (47 TCZ Diners).
>
> Plug the extra three windows on the isle side of the double bedroom
on the
> 10-6 Pullmans and you could do prototype, the 1952 Budd built 10-6
Pullmans. The
> two 10-6 Pullmans the Burlington added to the CZ pool in 1952 Silver
Crag and
> Silver Chasm also didn't have the three extra windows on the double
bedroom
> isle.
>
> Of course the CZ 10-6's were used in other trains, fully lettered
for the CZ.
> With the new head end equipment from Walthers, Athearn, the 6100 HW
Coaches
> from Branchline, yes they're off by one window but look great, and
extra 10-6
> Pullmans from your CZ pool, one could put together a really fine
Aksarben,
> American Royal Zephyr, or the Blackhawk. I don't know how often it
was used on
> the Aksarben but the CZ Observation did show up. In Chicago a CZ
train set laid
> over for 24 hours. Today's #18 would become #17 tomorrow. Thus CZ
cars could
> make a KC CHI turn and be back in the CZ 24 hours later.
>
> Walthers has announced a postwar smooth side 10-6 Pullman, built by
Pullman
> Standard. From the drawings if appears to be prototype for the PRR.
P Company
> liked those small windows and they showed up in a number of the post
war PS
> build cars. Also this same 10-6 was lettered for the L&N and I'm
sure there are
> other railroads as well. Here's a perfect "extra" Pullman to put in
the CZ.
> Also Walthers produced a PS coach with stainless steel below the
window band.
> Again here's a car you can use in the CZ in the DRG&W paint. Just
remember to
> place the car behind the baggage since foreign cars didn't have the
CZ train PA
> system wiring. Now with the odd Pullman in front of the Observation.
>
> Since the railroad sold space and not a specific car in the CZ with
the one
> exception of the Drawing Room in the Observation, thus a passenger
could have
> space in Silver Rapids and not be in the NYC-Oakland Pullman. As
close as I can
> estimate it would take a single 10-6 Pullman in the through service
appox 10
> days to make the full round trip from Chicago - Oakland, Oakland -
NYC, and
> then NYC - Chicago to start the through car pool all over again. It
was a daily
> service. Thus many foreign 10-6's showed up in this service which
lasted from
> 1949-1958, when Silver Rapids returned to the PRR. Silver Rapids
still had the
> full skirting well into the PC era. Today Silver Rapids is privately
owned.
> In my CZ I sometimes run a NYC 10-6, PRR 10-5, or a C&O 10-6. Just
for trivia,
> Silver Rapids got her name from Silver (CZ) and Rapids (PRR 10-6's were
> "something" Rapids).
>
> Loren Johnson

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/F9LvrA/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM