Re: [CBQ] Re: Hide Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Hide Cars
From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:06:57 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mark,

While this is only remotely related in pre gold rush California
the largest export product was hides. In "Two Years Before The
Mast" by Richard Henry Dana he goes into great detail as to how
they were loaded. If you have not read it he describes various
types of wedging that was used to get every possible hide into
the hold. A wooden ship would actually expand if properly loaded
with hides.

In the years of readily available cheap labor almost anything was
possible. If the hides were to be loaded to the roof then I'm
sure that was exactly what was done.

The one and only day I ever worked as the Agent-Operator at Lisle
there was a 40' box car loaded with lumber on the team track across
from the depot. Two guys came with a small truck and unloaded that
car by hand and piled each board on that truck. I'm sure when they
got back to the yard they unloaded it board by board. When I went
home they were about ready for their third trip back to the yard.

Russ