Re: [CBQ] re: Covers for quad hoppers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] re: Covers for quad hoppers
From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:06:35 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Gerald,

Yes, ballast is both sprayed with anti-freeze and covered for
winter derailments. I think this practice post-dates the CB&Q.
Since they had a fair amount of roundhouse space it was used
for this purpose.

In addition I never saw a 160M or 161M car loaded with ballast
until well after the merger and very rarely even then. They
were not constructed correctly for ballast service but, as it
turns out, they do make excellent tie cars. That is why so many
still exist today.

Russ