[CBQ] RTR vs Kits

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] RTR vs Kits
From: <kohlj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:57:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I'll add my voice to this great discussion, although I think that most of it
has been said already...

You have to kind of look at the type of operations that are being modeled now
as well.

If you were modelling 50 years ago, you could get away with realistic way
freights and so on of 20-30 cars...thus allowing you more time to spend on each
car.

If you are modelling anything in the modern diesel era with through freights,
(and enough layout room), you're talking 3-4 times the number of cars.

I finally decided to settle on the K-line, 1975 (I originally was doing a dual
timeframe layout, 1955 & 1975).  Yeah, it's out of the Q era, but it still
allows me to use a good amount of Q equipment.  However, there were nothing but
through freights and no passenger traffic, so you're talking 80-100+ freight
cars per train.  That's a LOT of kits...

Frankly, with a truck change and a little airbrushing, I can make a 6-pack of
hoppers look really nice running on the layout.  It may not satisfy the rivet
counters, but that was never my intention in the first place...

Having said that, I've got a few kits that I plan to detail out, and I did keep
some of my 1955 era Q stuff just for nostalgia purposes, so I'm doing the best
of both worlds, I suppose.

Cheers!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM