[CBQ] Re: Broadway Ltd Cal Zephyr Cars @ Trainfest

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Broadway Ltd Cal Zephyr Cars @ Trainfest
From: "Douglas Harding" <d.harding@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:28:21 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie said it pretty well. I would add Operations is a key factor which
has changed the buying habits of many. Anyone who has an operating layout,
where they hold regular Op Sessions, is looking for multiples of cars. When
building kits I would buy one or two, when I began operating I was suddenly
buying a dozen of the same car. My "fleet" is over 500 cars, not counting
the 150 plus kits waiting to be built. RTR allows for establishing a large
fleet quickly. I also find Operations changed the style of car I want on the
layout, time consuming contest quality models are not currently being built.
I need a fleet, not one of each. Further I recently purchased one of the
InterMountain ATSF stock car kits (most recent top quality plastic), $17.95
at discount. Then I paid $5 for the decals to letter the car (from
SpeedWitch). The next week was in a hobby shop, purchased the same car
assembled painted and lettered, RTR, for $26. Do the math. I am slowly
converting to RTR because is gives me more time for operations, scenery,
email lists, research and writing, and other aspects of the hobby I enjoy.
Don't get me wrong I still build kits, but not as many.

Doug Harding
Iowa Central Railroad
http://d.harding.home.mchsi.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM