[CBQ] RE: Urban Legend @ Clyde

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] RE: Urban Legend @ Clyde
From: "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 02:18:14 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The subject of said legend is my Uncle Ed "Smitty" AKA "Red" Smith.
There is a germ of truth.  He had 40 some yrs in when he ret'd from BN
and his varied career included a stint on the C&I as a Trainmaster but
ended up as #1 Gen. Yardmaster on BN in terms of seniority.  He ran
Clyde @ night.  Could have gone to days long before he re'td. but
preferred nights - lots less interference from anyone else.  However
he was a strong Q man and woe be on to any foreign road that didn't
treat the Q right.  If another road (IHB being a prime target) screwed
up anything for the Q, indeed their caboose might very well
disappear.  Foreign roads soon learned that you might get away with
things in other yards in the dark but not Clyde when Smitty was there.
Everytime I visited him as a kid he would have some new complaint
about the Q and tried to discourage my love of it but deep down there
was no more loyal employee. You have to know too he was west side
Chicago born & bred and tough as nails.  Made money in the Depression
as a kid by teaming with a buddy - one would throw mud on a car
windshield at one stop light and the other would clean said window
(for a fee) at the next light!
A proud nephew & possessor of his chain of keys, Gerald

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM