Re: [CBQ] Grab iron mountings on CBQ XM-32f without roofwalk

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Grab iron mountings on CBQ XM-32f without roofwalk
From: <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:54:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mark,
First of all I have to ask what you are using for a reference. If you do not
have the Mike Spoor Morning Sun book "CB&Q color Guide to Freight and Passenger
Eqiuipment", GO GET IT. You should also have Burlington Bulletin #7.
It'll cost you approximatly the cost of 4 Branchline Blueprint series kits
which you better have if you want to do this right. What carkit are you using
as a starting point? What level of detail are you going to achieve? Killer
contest quality or layout warrior?

On pp47 there is a great shot of car 63007 showing a 3/4 shot with the A end
plainly visible.
Your question about the roof grab can be answered easily. Photos I've seen show
that it was cut off completely or show remnants of the 2 support brackets for
the walk way above the side ladders. A long grab is suspended above the 4th rib
up from the bottom some of these appliances are tied into the ladder upright
and some are attached to the ends with 3 atachment points. Within this class
are variations that include some with 8' doors and some with roof hatches for
hide loading. Also look at www.rr-fallenflags.org website under CBQ and you'll
find a color shot of 63961's A end. Some where in my basement is a carousel of
Kodachromes I took at Metron Steel full of deadlined HN32s and a couple of PDSD
cars. Sorry I don't have a slide scanner yet but when I find them I'll see if I
have good shots of both ends.

E me if you need more info.

Sincerly,
Rob Manley
Midwest Mod-U-Trak
"Ah, Sal, if you could sit with me high in the Basque contry with a cool bottle
of PoignonDix-neuf, then you'd know there are other things besides boxcars."
"I know that. It's just that I love boxcars and I love to read the names on
them like Missouri Pacific, Great Northern, Rock Island Line"
On the Road----Jack Kerouac