[CBQ] Re: Grab iron mountings on CBQ XM-32f without roofwalk

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Grab iron mountings on CBQ XM-32f without roofwalk
From: "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:07:37 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm using photos I've found on the Internet
for reference.  Unfortunately, getting a copy of the CB&Q Color
Guide isn't feasible: I returned to university in the fall and money
is very tight (still, I haven't met a Color Guide that I didn't
like!).  Also, this car is pretty much a one-off, although I am
thinking about modeling one of the 50ft boxcars in the series 21000-
22499.

As to level of detail, this car will be a layout warrior.  However,
I have found from operating friends' layouts that I tend to notice
the ends of cars, usually because they aren't detailed the way the
sides are.   Consequently, it's important to me to get the ends
right.  The starting point for this project is a Red CabooseRC-8600,
with a 6ft door and 4/3/1 Improved Dreadnaught ends.

I have the shot of 63961 from Fallen Flags, but some of the A-end is
clipped off.  All I can really tell from that photo is that the
horizontal grab iron is attached to the ladder stile.  I'd
appreciate it if you could look for those slides, that would be a
big help.

Thanks again,
Mark Heiden

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <robev1630@s...> wrote:
> Mark,
> First of all I have to ask what you are using for a reference. If
you do not have the Mike Spoor Morning Sun book "CB&Q color Guide to
Freight and Passenger Eqiuipment", GO GET IT. You should also have
Burlington Bulletin #7.
> It'll cost you approximatly the cost of 4 Branchline Blueprint
series kits which you better have if you want to do this right. What
carkit are you using as a starting point? What level of detail are
you going to achieve? Killer contest quality or layout warrior?

> On pp47 there is a great shot of car 63007 showing a 3/4 shot with
the A end  plainly visible.
> Your question about the roof grab can be answered easily. Photos
I've seen show that it was cut off completely or show remnants of
the 2 support brackets for the walk way above the side ladders. A
long grab is suspended above the 4th rib up from the bottom some of
these appliances are tied into the ladder upright and some are
attached to the ends with 3 atachment points. Within this class are
variations that include some with 8' doors and some with roof
hatches for hide loading. Also look at www.rr-fallenflags.org
website under CBQ and you'll find a color shot of 63961's A end.
Some where in my basement is a carousel of Kodachromes I took at
Metron Steel full of deadlined HN32s and a couple of PDSD cars.
Sorry I don't have a slide scanner yet but when I find them I'll see
if I have good shots of both ends.

> E me if you need more info.
>
> Sincerly,
> Rob Manley
> Midwest Mod-U-Trak
> "Ah, Sal, if you could sit with me high in the Basque contry with
a cool bottle of PoignonDix-neuf, then you'd know there are other
things besides boxcars."
> "I know that. It's just that I love boxcars and I love to read the
names on them like Missouri Pacific, Great Northern, Rock Island
Line"
> On the Road----Jack Kerouac

Heiden

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM