[CBQ] Re: Potential Phoney eBay email ALERT

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Potential Phoney eBay email ALERT
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:27:29 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I respond with some hesitation, since I think this is one of the
topics we're supposed to avoid. But it's a serious, growing concern &
threat, and these "phishing" scams are becoming ever more
sophisticated. I've recently been been targeted by scams posing as my
internet server, PayPal, even my own bank (in the latter case
threatening to freeze my account unless I "confirmed" my information).
There are any number of "red flags," as Brad calls them, but there's
one simple rule to keep in mind: Don't EVER give your credit/debit
card number, bank account number, social security number, PIN, or any
other personal information to anyone you don't know, however credible
or urgent the request may seem, unless you initiated the
conversation/transaction yourself.

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "BRAD SLANEY" <bradslaney@w...> wrote:
> Groups,
>
> I received an email from what appeared to be eBay's message service.
 A supposed eBay member asking me if I had sold him an item.  When I
went to reply that I had not, I got a screen asking me for
verification by providing a credit card number.  BIG RED FLAG!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM